Le Croque Monsieur
As part of our collaboration with Grey Poupon, here is our second recipe from the vault. Featuring one of the all time favourites, Satan's Gravy.
25 grams of salted butter
2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
230 mls of whole milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grey Poupon dijon mustard
Hot sauce of your choice (Satan's gravy would be my go to for this one)
1 Onion chopped roughly
Bouquet garni (or any of the following - thyme, sage and rosemary)
100 grams of Ham (Parma or Serrano)
Bunch of fresh parsley
Cheese mix (parmesan and gruyere)
Sourdough bread sliced
- Start preheating the oven.
- Melt the butter into a saucepan and whisk in the flour until you get a paste like consistency (a roux).
- Gradually add the milk and whisk until it turns into a sauce.
- Add a sprinkle of the cheese mix, the chopped onion, 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard, bouquet garni, 1 teaspoon of nutmeg and pepper.
- Butter the slices of sourdough bread and sieve the onion and herbs out.
- Grill up the buttered slices on both sides then spread a layer of Dijon mustard, bechamel sauce, then add the ham, fresh parsley and sprinkle of the cheese mix.
- Top them with the grilled bread slices and more bechamel sauce and cheese mix.
- sprinkle dashes of Worcester sauce and place in the hot oven and bake for 10-15 mins until golden brown.